By BECKY KISER
School starts Wednesday for students in Hays USD 489 and Monday for the two Hays Catholic schools – TMP-Marian High School/Junior High School and Holy Family Elementary – along with Fort Hays State University.
Traffic, both pedestrian and vehicular, will increase dramatically.
Hays Police Department Lt. Brandon Wright has some back-to-school safety tips for drivers and students.
- Drivers should slow down, stay off their cell phones, and allow extra time to get where they need to go. Speeding fines are doubled in school zones.
- Drivers in both directions must stop while a school bus is stopped with its red lights flashing and stop arm out. A third offense in five years of passing a school bus with its lights activated is $1,000 plus court costs.
- Don’t drop off or pick up students where they’re forced to cross a traffic lane.
- Children should walk or bike the same route to and from school each day and have a plan to check in with someone after school.
- Bicyclists should wear helmets.
- Make sure children are aware of traffic ways at alleys and driveways.
- Talk with children about stranger safety.