MANHATTAN — Together, the Kansas Department of Agriculture and the Kansas Department of Commerce were recently awarded a $200,000 State Trade Expansion Program (STEP) Grant award for use in 2019. Since the grant’s inception in 2012, more than 100 Kansas small businesses have participated and achieved $23 million in actual export sales. To further broaden Kansas’ exporter base and to increase the export value and volume, the two departments have joined forces during the 2019 grant year to focus on three main areas: export training, foreign trade shows and trade missions, and market entry support.
The following KDA STEP Grant trade missions are planned for 2019. All dates are tentative.
• Thailand: livestock genetics/equipment and animal health sector, March 28-31, 2019
• Agritech Expo, Zambia: livestock genetics/equipment and animal health sector, April 11-13, 2019
• Foro Mascotas Pet Food International, Mexico: pet food and pet food manufacturing equipment, May 28-30, 2019
• AGRO 2019, Ukraine: agriculture equipment, June 4-7, 2019
Additionally, KDA has planned the following U.S. Livestock Genetics Export trade missions in 2019. The goal of these missions is to provide an opportunity for Kansas’ purebred cattle producers and allied industry to develop relationships with livestock producers to increase market opportunities for U.S. and Kansas beef and dairy genetics.
• La Exposición Rural and ranch visits, Argentina: late July 2019
• Expo Prado and ranch visits, Montevideo, Uruguay: mid-September 2019
Applications for trade missions are due approximately two months prior to tentative travel date. For additional information about the 2019 international travel opportunities, and to apply for any of the missions, please visit www.agriculture.ks.gov/international or contact Suzanne Ryan-Numrich, KDA international trade director, at 785-564-6704 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Total Kansas agriculture exports totaled $3.6 billion in 2017. KDA’s mission is to provide an environment that enhances and encourages economic growth of the agriculture industry domestically and internationally.