Fort Hays State University would like to thank our military members and veterans for their service. Please join us in honoring their sacrifice and dedication to our country on:
Monday, November 12th
Veterans Day Observed
11 am – 1 pm
Memorial Union, Sunset Lounge
A formal ceremony will begin at 11:11 am in the Atrium.
Refreshments will be provided.
The ceremony will include comments from veteran Mr. Joe Chretien and a performance of taps by an FHSU music student Gavin Blehm. In addition, view the feature wall display on veterans around the world, and listen to stories from WWII veterans in the state of Kansas, collected by members of the LDRS 310 Team, FHSU Veterans History Project, which will be located near the Memorial Union’s dedication display in Sunset Lounge.
Leading up to the event, you can also show your gratitude for our veterans by:
- Visiting the Military Friendly Committee at the Memorial Union Feature Wall on Friday, November 9th. Honor a Veteran you know by including their name on a banner that will be displayed in the Sunset Lounge on Veteran’s Day Observed.
- Purchasing a t-shirt from the Student Veterans Association to show support for veterans at FHSU. The Student Veterans Association will be selling t-shirts at the FHSU Football game vs. Northeastern State on Saturday, November 10th.
- Visiting the plaque in the quad that was installed in honor of those who lost their lives in the Vietnam conflict.
- Viewing facts about Veterans on the hanging wall of the Memorial Union provided by the Center for Civic Leadership from November 5 – November 12.
These activities are presented by students and staff from the following departments and organizations:
- Center for Civic Leadership
- Center for Student Involvement
- Military Friendly Committee
- Student Government Association
- Student Veterans Association
Special thanks to the Athletics Department for donating tickets to the football game in honor of our veterans. We would also like to thank our speakers Dr. Kenton Olliff and Mr. Joe Chretien, and FHSU music student Gavin Blehm for their participation in the event.