At 4:44 p.m. Monday, city of Hays emergency dispatchers were alerted to a building fire at 202 East 17th St. The city of Hays Fire Department, assisted by Ellis County Fire Department Company 5, the Hays Police Department and Ellis County EMS, was immediately dispatched.
Arriving firefighters found a fire in the first floor garage of a two-story dwelling. Two hose lines were used to control the fire. There were no injuries.
The most probable cause of the fire was the ignition of garden mulch by the improper disposal of smoking materials. The wind-driven mulch fire extended to combustible yard furniture and spread into the building.
Six fire trucks and 28 firefighters responded. The last fire crew left the scene at 6:15 p.m.
This was the third wind-driven fire to which Hays firefighters responded Monday. At 9:43 a.m. firefighters were dispatched to a fire at 1914 Whittier Road. Arriving firefighters found a fire involving garden mulch that spread to a child’s ride-on plastic battery-powered car, threatening the building.
At 1:27 p.m. firefighters responded to the 300 block of Mopar Drive for a grass fire. The most probable cause of these fires was the improper disposal of smoking materials.
Your Hays firefighters would like to remind everyone to carefully dispose of smoking materials, especially on windy days. The smallest spark can be fanned into a large, fast-moving fire in just minutes.