RENO COUNTY —Just before 5 a.m. Wednesday, the Hutchinson Fire Department responded to 708 West 4th Street for a reported house fire, according to Fire Chief Steve Beer.
Initial dispatch reports indicated that children were still inside of the home. Initial arriving units quickly determined that all individuals were accounted for.
Fire units reported smoke showing from a single story residential home. Crews quickly worked to contain the fire to the area of origin, however smoke damage throughout the home occurred.
The family escape wearing only the clothes on their back. Red Cross was notified to assist the family. All family members were looked at by Reno County EMS. All individuals refused treatment or transport and were able to stay warm in the early morning frigid temperatures in their vehicle.
The home did have working smoke detectors. The cause of the fire is believed to stem from thawing out frozen water pipes earlier in the day. This is the second fire in the past two days that was related to the thawing out of frozen pipes.