The Kansas State University Soil Judging Team won the Region 5 Soil Judging Contest hosted by Missouri State University in Springfield, Mo. from September 16 – 20, 2013. The team took first place overall and third in group judging.
Michelle Busch was 1st High Individual; Erin Bush was 3rd High Individual; and Dorothy Menefee was 8th High Individual.
The K-State team is coached by Mickey Ransom, professor of agronomy, and assisted by Kim Kerschen, Garden Plain, Kan. and Matti Kuykendall, Osage City, Kan., who are both graduate students in agronomy.
K-State soil judging team members and their hometowns include:
- Michelle Busch, senior, Shawnee (1st Individual)
- Erin Bush, freshman, Franklin, Ind. (3rd Individual)
- Jeffrey Albers, junior Oakley
- John Bergkamp, sophomore, Garden Plain
- Jessica Barnett, senior, Belleville
- Garrison Gundy, junior, Halstead
- Reed Koop, sophomore, Abilene
- Holly Laughlin, sophomore, Haven
- Dorothy Menefee, senior, Spring Hill
- Evelyn Nordberg, junior, Fayetteville, N.Y.
- Kyle Stropes, senior, Hutchinson
- Christina Wilson, senior, Hartford, Kan.
The contest is an activity of the American Society of Agronomy and the Soil Science Society of America.