Hays Fire Department
All consumer fireworks that are legal in Kansas are approved for sale and use in the city of Hays on July 2, 3 and 4.
Fireworks can be used between the hours of 10 a.m. and 11 p.m.
• Adults need to closely supervise teens using fireworks.
• Do not allow young children to handle or use fireworks.
• Fireworks should only be used outdoors.
• Always have a hose, fire extinguisher or water bucket ready when using fireworks.
• Know your fireworks; Read the caution label before igniting.
• Alcohol and fireworks do not mix. Save your alcohol for after the show.
• Only light one firework at a time.
• Never relight a “dud” firework. Wait 20 minutes and then soak it in a bucket of water.
• Avoid using homemade fireworks or illegal explosives: They can kill you!
• Soak spent fireworks with water before placing them in an outdoor, fire resistant garbage can away from buildings and flammable materials.
State law prohibits fireworks from being ignited or discharged:
• From a moving or stationary vehicle.
• On a public street or right-of-way.
• Within 100 feet of a hospital, nursing home of fireworks sales location.
• Within 50 feet of a fuel pump or gas station.
Practice courtesy and respect. Clean up your fireworks debris. Avoid disturbing your neighbors when using fireworks.
Call 911 promptly if a person is injured or a fire is started by fireworks.