|

Squirrel sparks fire that burns unoccupied Saline County home

Salina Post

SALINA — A squirrel, a trash fire and roasting marshmallows kept Saline County firefighters busy this weekend.

Screen Shot 2014-03-17 at 1.22.59 PM

Fire at 4533 S. Burma Road. Photo courtesy of Saline County Sheriff’s Office.

 

At approximately 5:30 p.m. Friday, firefighters were sent to 4533 S. Burma Road where a grass fire damaged an unoccupied farm house, and destroyed two pickups and a wagon and car. The fire apparently was started by a squirrel that had been electrocuted on a power line and fell to the ground, catching the grass of fire. No damage estimate was available.

At 10:30 a.m. Saturday, crews were sent to 2752 W. Pleasant Hill Road to a report of Morton building on fire. Embers from from a trash barrel got away and set the grass on fire and caught the 30-by-40-foot building on fire. Lawnmowers, a log splitter and a trailer also were destroyed. Loss was estimated at $10,000.

Just after 10 a.m. Sunday, two children trying to roast marshmallows in a hay loft caused about $1,000 in damage to a barn at 9520 E. Assaria Road. The youngsters tried to set hay on fire and then could not put out the fire. No one was injured.

KSK CHRISTMAS
Commenting Disclaimer
  • Be respectful. 
  • Do not use obscene, profane or vulgar language.
  • Do not make accusations or personal attacks
  • Comments considered to be 'trolling' or for the sole purpose of angering others will be removed.
Big-Bowl-Challenge-300x50