University Dedicates New Residence Hall
Heather Hall is the newest suite-style student living at Fort Hays and is named for the late Jack Heather. Heather Hall, along with Agnew Hall occupies the opposite corner of the same block and makes up Tiger Place.
Jack Heather began teaching at the university in 1950 and was hired by the then speech department to create and develop the radio curriculum. Heather and his students used homemade and borrowed equipment for more than a decade. The program expanded to television in 1956 and the universitie’s radio station went live in 1962.
Heather retired in 1988 and passed away in 2011.
The new Heather Hall replaces the current Heather Hall building which was built in 1981 and currently houses the radio and television broadcasting departments.
A new building, called the Center for Media Studies is under construction next to Tomanek Hall and will be the new home for the radio and television studios as well as the Virtual college, the Center for Teaching Excellence and Learning Technology, the Department of Informatics and labs for the information systems engineering program.
Combined the new Agnew and Heather Halls will house 230 beds.