Hutchinson Police confirm the injury occurred around 10:00 p.m. in the area of Random Road, near the Kansas State Fairgrounds, where the Hutchfest fireworks show was held and in an area where fire crews had warned homeowners about shooting off illegal fireworks.
The injured man was flown by helicopter to Via Christi Hospital in Wichita for treatment.
A police spokesman says a mortar went through the injured man’s leg. The injury is described as so severe, the leg might not be salvageable. “Alcohol was involved,” the spokesman added. Aerial fireworks were banned in the city for this year but could be purchased in South Hutchinson and nearby communities.
The name of the victim has not been released