UPDATE: Man Found Dead After Possible Chemical Suicide In SE Salina
by Randy Picking ~ Salina Post
UPDATE: A chemical suicide prompted emergency officials to evacuate homes in SE Salina and close Markley Road, Thursday morning.
Emergency responders blocked off the area after learning a man inside a home in the 2100 block of Brookefield was suicidal and was thought to have a mix of toxic chemicals.
The home was filled with a poisonous gas and a Haz-Mat team found the man deceased upon making entry, according to a news release from the Salina Police Department.
Traffic to the area was reopened this afternoon, after emergency crews cleared the area of the poisonous gas.
Hydrogen Sulfide is the chemical mixture that is thought to have been involved.
The use of hydrogen sulfide by those attempting to commit suicide has increased across the U.S. in recent years, and law enforcement across Kansas have reported its involvement in a number of suicides over the past year.
The man’s identity was not released. We will update this story as more information is released. The Saline County Coroner has ordered an autopsy.